Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Books I think you should check out and an exciting new ADVENTURE!!

Over the Labor Day weekend, I took the kiddos to Myrtle Beach for a little vacation and because they are so amazing, was able to read a lot while we were there. My oldest daughter brought along a good friend, so between my oldest daughter, her friend and my son - (all teenagers!) - I had plenty of help keeping Therese, the youngest at 6, entertained and watched over. I logged whole afternoons lounging by the pool, reading and sunning, while they floated endlessly around the Lazy River or splashed around in one of the 4 pools. It was fantastic! It could only have been better if my sweet hubby, who had to stay home to work, could have been with us. Even the weather was perfect for us, so fond memories of the trip were made by all.

And yes, I am aware that Labor Day was over a month ago. Is it my fault time passes so rapidly lately that I absolutely can not keep up?

Two of the books I enjoyed reading over those three idyllic days are now two of my new favorites. The Red Scarf by Kate Furnivall, and Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah. Both are emotional, dramatic stories of love and life and strong women. They also both share a common theme; Russia during the World Wars. In the past year or so, I have nurtured a love affair with Russian related historical fiction. It started with my reading of The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons, one of my most favorite stories of all. I read all three books in that series and went through withdrawal after they were finished because I missed the characters so much.Months later I discovered Kate Furnivall who, in my humble opinion, is a pure genius at storytelling. Her Russian stories are incomparable to anything I have ever read because they are gritty and tender, thrilling and peaceful all at once.

After reading one of hers, I am slightly dazed and have a very difficult time choosing a new book to read next. It's like having the very best chocolate, then being offered a mediocre off-brand.
Anyway, imagine my surprise when I picked up Winter Garden to read and realized, it too, was about Russia in it's parallel story-line! It had been on my shelf for a while patiently waiting its turn. I can't really articulate why, it just never seemed like what I wanted to read next. Now, I think my subconsciousness knew it was a 5 star book.

I have this thing I am compelled to do with books I know will be great. I hoard them. I won't let myself read them. I wait, saving them....for what exactly, I can't say....but I know they are there. Waiting, ready for me whenever I need a guaranteed good book. Then when I'm moody, or need a fabulous story to escape into, it's there for me. A gift to myself. Corny, huh? But it works for me.

So there you have it. A few of my recent reads that are well worth the time and money. Well written, intelligent and satisfying.  As for the new adventure....seems that will have to wait for another day. I've managed to use up all my allotted blogging words for the day babbling about books. Imagine that!!

Actually it's just a ill-concealed ploy to lure you back....
Hope it works :-)

Dawn xo

No comments:

Post a Comment